Whenever I visit South Korea, I go to traditional markets to get street food, which includes my favorite Ho-Tteok. Since I can hardly find a place that sells Ho-Tteok, I make it at home in the US.
What's in the box: (About 10 Ho-Tteok can be made)
- Dough pre-mix powder
- Instant yeast powder
- Jam filling mix powder
[MAKING THE DOUGH]
- Prepare a large bowl.
- Add 250mL of lukewarm water and instant yeast in the bowl. Mix it well.
- Add Ottogi Korean Pancake Mix powder to #2 and mix it well. Knead the dough for five minutes and round it up into the center. No need to ferment. The dough is ready right away. (Fermentation can be done. Cover the plastic wrap over the bowl until the dough to rise. This may take about 30-45 minutes. Then squeeze it gently for all the gases to escape from the dough.)
[MAKING A SHAPE AND FILLING THE JAM]
- Put cooking oil on your hands to prevent the dough to stick on.
- Take a portion (about 65g) of the dough on your hand and flattened it.
- Put a spoonful of Jam filling (about 13g) in the middle of the flattened dough and seal it.
- Preheat the frying pan over high heat
- Reduce the heat to med-low and add cooking oil.
- Place the prepared jam-filled dough in the frying pan, sealed side downward.
- Press down the dough and cook it until you see slightly brown color.
- Flip it over and cook the other side for 1~2 minutes until you see golden brown color.
- Flip it again and cook the other side until it becomes golden brown color.
- Serve the delicious Ho-Tteok while is it hot. (Be Careful! Jam filling is really hot.)
I hope you enjoy my favorite snack, Ho-Tteok! My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
I'd better go make some, yum.
[Stuffed Pancake Mix]
Wheat Flour, Hydroxypropyl Tapioca Starch, Corn Starch, Glutinous Rice Powder, Sugar, Salt, Sunflower Seed Oil, Baking Powder (Disodium Dihydrogen Pyrophosphate, Calcium Phosphate, Monobasic, Potassium Phosphate Dibasic), Skim Milk Powder, Turmeric Powder
[Stuffed Pancake Jam Mix]
Brown Sugar, Dextrose, Roasted Peanut Powder, Wheat Flour, Sunflower Seed Oil, Cinnamon Powder, Roasted Sesame, Chocolate Flour (Artificial), Caramel Color
Yeast, Rehydrated Agent contains Wheat, Milk, Peanut